On Saturday 23rd July Morzine welcomes the penultimate stage of Le Tour de France. The world’s best road cyclists will cross the finish line next to Morzine’s Office de Tourisme, having pedalled 146.5km from Megeve. The very next day the winner of Le Tour 2016 will be crowned on the Champs Elysees in Paris.
No doubt the streets will be packed along the route, with spectators gathering hours in advance to see the race pass by. Here’s all you need to know about traffic deviations and special parking arrangements during Le Tour.
Traffic in Morzine during the Tour de France 2016
- The Place de l’Office de Tourisme, the Place du Palais des Sports and the Place de la Poste will all be closed to traffic from noon on Friday 22nd July until noon on Sunday 24th July.
- On the race route (see below), the Avenue de Joux-Plane, Taille de Mas du Grand Hotel, Route de la Combe a Zore and the Route du Palais des Sports will be closed to traffic from 6pm on 22nd July until 10pm on Saturday 23rd.
- Traffic on the Route des Grande Alpes between the Plagnettes roundabout and Pied de la Plagne roundabout will be restricted on Saturday 23rd. Between 10am and 3pm, it’s only open to downhill traffic, uphill will be diverted through Essert Romand. Between 3pm and 5.30pm the road will be closed to allow for the passage of the publicity caravan.
- Holiday makers leaving resort on Saturday 23rd will be directed down to Thonon rather than through Les Gets.
- The Route du Pont des Gets (in the direction of Tananges and Cluses) will close 30 minutes before the arrival of the publicity caravan. Access from Thonon remains open all day.
Parking in Morzine during the Tour de France 2016
- Parking on the Rue du Bourg, Nyon, the Palais des Sports, Poste, the underground parking at the Office de Tourisme and the Joux-Plane car parks will be closed.
- Only Prodains car park will be open to the public, from where there will be a shuttle service into Morzine. Other regular bus services will not be running on Saturday 23rd July.
- Limited parking spaces will also be available in the centre between Les Tailles de Mas and the adjacent streets, marked white on the following map.
Stay tuned for more information on the route of Le Tour through Morzine