So, it’s not news that there’s very little / no snow across our valley at the moment. This isn’t a situation that’s unique to Morzine and Les Gets – many resorts across the French Alps are in the same situation. Luckily, we’re next door to Avoriaz, which is skiable right now. But with no significant new snowfall due in the short term and only the suggest of snow on the long-range forecast, it’s unlikely to be a white christmas.
However, Christmas is still a magical time in the mountains and locally, the snow making teams are working their socks off to prepare the area with the limited snow available. And as we know from experience, when it snows in Morzine, Les Gets and Avoriaz, it really snow… conditions can change in an afternoon!
Last night the local lift operators and the Office de Tourisme laid out their plans for the Christmas period in Morzine.
- Locals and seasonaires are asked to consider staggering going up the mountain and also heading back earlier to avoid congestion on the Prodains and Super Morzine lifts at peak times and making manoeuvres easier for holiday makers.
- Decisions regarding access and any restrictions to the pistes of Avoriaz will be made each day during the next 2 weeks. Just to be clear, no decisions have been made yet.
- The snow garden operated by the ESF in Morzine will be open for beginner skiers. Flocon level children’s lessons and adult ESF Morzine lessons will now take place in Avoriaz. Transportation for these lessons will be available from in front of the ESF building in Morzine.
- Additional pistes will open in Avoriaz over the next few days, as a result of the recent cold temperatures and the resort’s snow-making capacity. A full list of these can be found below.
- Avoriaz lift passes will be discounted by 10% between 19th and 23rd December
- The local free ski bus service will run as normal
- A whole host of non-snow related activities will be available in Morzine during the festive period. These include pony rides, walking tours, climbing, via ferrata, paragliding, helicopter tours and much more. Ice skating is also available at the Skoda Arena and the swimming pool is open too.
- There’s still much fun to be had across our beautiful valley this Christmas!
Here at Source Magazine we’ll try our best to keep you updated as best we can!