There isn’t a lot of crime in Morzine, but it’s worth taking extra care of your precious skis or snowboard this winter. Unfortunately ski or snowboard equipment is an easy target in a ski resort. As we approach the February holidays and we’re anticipating a huge influx of people into the village, it becomes easier for skis and snowboards to be stolen, lost or mixed up with someone else’s equipment. Here’s some tips on how to keep your kit safe in Morzine this winter.
– Buy a lock for your skis or snowboard and use it. You’ll find a selection of really good locks available on Amazon.
– When you stop for lunch or apres, try to keep your kit in sight at all times.
– Loop your pole handles over your skis to keep them bound together. This should hopefully prevent an accidental mix-up and it makes the whole bunch harder to steal.
– Separate your skis – place one on one ski rack and the other on another. Or, swap with a friend to create two unmatched pairs.
– If you’re using hire skis, take advantage of any storage lockers that the hire company provide. Doorstep Skis for example, have a storage locker available for their clients at the L’Aubergade Hotel at the bottom of the Pleney. This means you can dispose of your kit before you head into town for apres.
– If you’re using your own ski kit, keep a record of the exact make and model and try to keep your receipts for as long as possible. It’s also worth photographing your equipment in case the worst should happen and you need to make an insurance claim.
– If you’re accommodation provides equipment storage, make sure that it is locked at all times.
While you’re relaxed and in the holiday spirit it’s easy to forget that your expensive, precious ski or snowboard equipment is at risk. Use a bit of common sense and you could save yourself time, money and a whole load of hassle.